The Swain County Track Team hosted the Swain County High School Invitational at Enka High School yesterday. There were a total of 21 teams who participated in the meet. The boys team finished 2nd behind a very strong AC Reynolds team. The girls finished 1st ahead of last year’s 3A state champion West Henderson, and this year’s 3A Indoor State Runner-up Franklin. Notable performances on the evening include:
- Arizona Blankenship with three 1st place finishes (4×800, 800 meter run, 4×400). Arizona’s 800 meter run ranks as the 2nd best in the state this season. She is also currently the #1 ranked runner in the 1600 and 3200.
- Amelia Rogers finished 1st in both Pole Vault and High Jump
- Melanie Linton had personal bests in the 100 and 300 Hurdles.
- Annie Lewis ran personal bests in the 1600 and 3200 run.
- Josiah Glaspie set a new SCHS school record in the 400 meter dash. The previous school record had been set by Kenny McLean in 1989.
- Nse Uffort won the discus with a throw of 159’11”.
- Connor Brown ran the #1 time in NC in winning the 800 meter run.
- Boys 4×800 (Connor Brown, Kane Jones, Connor Lambert, Abhi Patel) ran the #2 time in the state in route to the win.
Both the SCHS boys and girls programs are currently ranked #1 in the state. Their next meet will be the SMC Conference Championships at Cherokee on 5/3. The meet will begin at 1:00.